Friday 13 July 2012

Fruit Smorgasbord Crumble


Let's try a dessert this time!



If your family is like mine, no matter how hard I try, they never seem to eat all the fruit I buy. It always goes bad or sits in some forgotten fruit drawer until I either cut it up to feed to our bunny or I toss it out. After several weeks of this I decided that I should start cooking the fruit so I created what I call, Fruit Smorgasbord  Crumble, using whatever left over fruit I have available. With this one, I used some left over blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, apples and raspberries. For the crumble, if I don’t have enough of the other ingredients blend in some left over muesli for that crunch, however I didn’t need to do that this time. 

Ingredients:


Cookware used:
Perfect Pans1324- 24cm Saute' Crafond Perfect Pan
Mixing bowl

Fruit Filling:

100g White Sugar (to taste)
5-6 Apples
210g Blueberries
80g Strawberries
50g Raspberries
50g blackberries
3 tablespoons of Water


Topping:

75g Butter (room temperature)
150g Plain Flour
100g Brown sugar
2-3 teaspoons of Cinnamon

Method:
Core, peel and slice the apples or any other fruit. I like to cut raspberries and strawberries as it releases the juice better. 

Combine the  fruit, water and sugar to your 24cm Crafond Saute pan. Place on the hob covered with the lid on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until fruit is bubbling and soft. 


Mix with spoon to evenly distribute flavours. 

Put the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the butter. Rub the flour and butter together until it looks crumbly and the butter has been evenly dispersed through the flour. Add the sugar and mix together to ensure that everything is combined.



Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top the cooked fruit using a fork to even out the distribution but don't press it down.

Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top of the topping. 

Cook in the oven for 40 - 50 minutes or until lightly golden brown.Remove the detachable handle while cooking in the oven. 

I topped mine with some powder custard for speed purposes, although this goes really nice with some vanilla bean ice cream!

 Serves 4-6


No comments:

Post a Comment